GREAT JOB 2018 Bike handlers!!!! Thanks for your part in earning this award!
Signed up to bike handle with us? THANKS! We are your bike handler captains and have some important information for you.
If you haven't signed up to help us at the race, please visit the AZ Ironman volunteer page and sign up to bike handle. We'll be in touch after that.
WHAT DO BIKE HANDLERS DO?
- Morning bike handlers help athletes find their bikes after they are done with the 2.4 mile swim and exit the change tent and encourage them.
- Afternoon bike handlers will take bikes from athletes after the 112 mile bike and put them back on the transition racks.
VOLUNTEER MEETING: There is no pre-race volunteer meeting. Make sure you have reviewed everything on this bike handler page and show up on time to your shift. We will run over things quickly with you at the beginning of your shift.
RACE WEEK: Visit the FCA calendar to see where else you can find us during Ironman week. All upcoming AZ FCA Endurance events are listed on the calendar.
GETTING THERE: We highly recommend carpooling, biking or taking the light rail to the race venue. Getting in and out of parking lots with closed /restricted traffic is tough! Exit the light rail at the 3rd Street and Mill Ave exit and walk north about a half a mile to the bike transition area. The fare is $2 per person per trip, but it might be worth it! When looking at the online schedule, put your cursor to the side of the schedule box and more stops/beginning locations will appear.
- Parking pass for the Rio and Ash lot, 725 S Ash Ave, Tempe, AZ 85281.
- Spots are scattered throughout the town for nominal fees as well.
- Consider taking the light rail or riding your bike instead! You can keep your bike in the transition area during afternoon bike handling shifts. This isn't possible during the morning shift since the athletes are running through the area getting their bikes. It is too congested.
PLAN AHEAD: Please give yourself enough time on race morning to get to transition area with ample time to prepare for your day. Roads will be congested as athletes, volunteers and spectators converge on the area in a short period of time.
FINDING US ON RACE DAY: Sunday, November 18, 2018. Photo of John & Debbie is on this page. Both jobs are inside the transition area, needing our approval for security to let you in. Meet us at the locations noted below and one of us will be there to let you in.
- 7:00am-9:30am shift- we'll meet you just outside the west end of the bike rack area, opposite the "run out." This area is marked on the map shown on this page, as a yellowish-orange crosswalk just west of the bike rack area, close to the Tempe Beach parking lot. Please watch part of the rolling swim start and check in with us by 7:00am. The mornings can be a little cool, bring a hat and sunscreen as well.
- All afternoon shifts will meet at the beginning of your shift, on the south side of the bike transition area. It is marked on the map shown on this page. Please bring sunscreen, a hat and gloves to protect your hands from dirty bikes :) Wear a Garmin if you want to see how many miles you get in re-racking the bikes!
WHAT TO BRING:
REGISTRATION for next year's AZ Ironman race:
- If you volunteer during this year's full AZ Ironman race, you will be able to sign up for next year's race with a priority volunteer registration.
- Every volunteer needs A SEPARATE email address (IE: if two people signed up to volunteer and used the same email address, they will receive an invitation for one person to register for next year).
- Every registered volunteer will be checked in for their shift when they show up.
- If you complete your volunteer shift commitment, then you will receive an email from Ironman the day after the race (Monday) that will have a unique link for you to register for next year's race. One link sent per email address, so be sure family members who want to race next year are not sharing an email address.
- This link will allow you to sign up prior to the general public registration. So, while you are not guaranteed a spot it is very likely that you will be able to register.
- You no longer need to stay in Tempe the day after the race to register!! Instead, you can register from home.
VOLUNTEER PARTY: Monday, November 19th at 5:30pm at Tempe Beach Park- near the stage and registration tent. Drinks, dinner and really great prizes! It will be easy to find because all else should be taken down by then.